Saturday, April 13, 2013

Finally tried henna on my 4a natural hair


     Well, here I am a day after I finished the long, messy process of putting henna in my hair. This was my first time using henna, and it was worth it.  I have type 4a hair, and after using henna my hair seemed more defined, stronger, and more conditioned.  In the direct sunlight, I am able to pick up some of the reddish color that the henna deposited on my brown hair.  Here is a close up view of my hair in direct sunlight.





     Instead of ordering henna online or buying from a local natural hair products vendor, I decided to use the much less expensive Sadaf Henna Red that I found in a local grocery store that has a large section of Indian products.  For $6.19, I got 8 oz (227g) of henna, which was enough to do my APL (arm pit length) highly textured hair. 

   I mixed the henna powder with lemon juice in a glass bowl using a wooden spoon.  The consistency of the mixture was like mashed potatoes.  After covering it with plastic wrap and pushing the plastic wrap right up against the surface of the mixture, I let it sit for about 5 hours in a warm place before applying it.

   You must use gloves when applying henna; otherwise, your hands will get stained.  This is the one time that I did find a use for vaseline, so I went to the store and bought some to use for applying around my forehead and nape of the neck to avoid getting henna there.  I applied the henna and lemon juice mixture to all parts of my hair and covered my head with several layers of plastic wrap, a plastic conditioner cap, a headband, and a hair bonnet.  I still had a little bit leaking out, so I pushed a few paper towels up under the bonnet.  After leaving it on for at least 9 hours, I started the arduous task of rinsing it out.  After much rinsing, five co-washes using a total of 30 ounces of cheap conditioner, more rinsing, deep conditioning with JDNatladys' Creations Moisturizing Hair Mask (newly developed product that is not yet available) for a half hour, and rinsing some more, I was finally done.  I did a wash and go and only used a little bit of an oil mixture that I scrunched on the outer portion of my hair, I was relieved to have made it through my first time using henna.  It will not be my last time using henna, but I think I need to order a truckload of water for the cistern before trying this out again.

  I will put a link up later here on my blog to my YouTube tutorial that shows you the process that I used to mix, apply, and remove the henna.

2 comments:

  1. Henna, also known as Mehandi or Mehndi is a produced from the green leaves of henna plant. Henna plant is generally found or planted in the central India for making natural hair care, skin care and other health products.

    henna for hair color

    ReplyDelete